Re: [css-shapes] Functional Notation

On 10/1/13 2:19 PM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 12:19 PM, Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com> wrote:
>> I don't understand why we'd go with commas for the color functions but
>>not
>> with commas for circle(), for example. It looks like needless
>>consistency
>> (or inconsistency, depending on what you're comparing to).
>
>The color functions are legacy, and horrible for several reasons (like
>using additional functions rather than optional arguments).  They're
>not useful to cite for precedent.

OK, and you aren't making an argument for or against precedent in your
statement of principles [1].

I admit that I forgot completely about this resolution, but I would note
that we've had a long discussion on shape function grammar where the
presence of commas went unmentioned.

I would like to see CSS Values and Units change to match what you're
asking for. Currently the definition of functional notation [2] says that
arguments are separated by commas. I'd also like to see the wiki page in
[1] updated - no rectangle()->rect(), and mention that we're not changing
Color et.al. for backwards compatibility.

If there were shape fallbacks, or the possibility of re-ordering shape
parameters, I'd be much more convinced about this change. I just don't see
a benefit to removing commas here - just confusion (which is partly my
fault for not switching away from commas immediately). Perhaps the shape
functions fit into your math-y caveat that allows commas?

Thanks,

Alan

[1] http://wiki.csswg.org/ideas/functional-notation#general-principles

[2] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-values-3/#functional-notation