Re: [css-values] The length unit 'Q' (quarter of millimeter)

On 11/19/13 8:57 PM, "Felix Miata" <mrmazda@earthlink.net> wrote:

>> In particular, it's not going to be revisited *in this thread*.  Please
>>stop.
>
>No matter how much you claim otherwise, the thread subject as written is
>clearly about a proposed unit that either:
>
>1:will or will not be implemented
>
>2:if implemented, might be implemented as either a logical unit, or a
>physical unit

This thread and its subject line are about #1. You seem to be the only one
making an issue out of #2. I do not see any evidence anyone else wants or
expects Q to behave in a way unrelated to 'mm' when used on screen.

>What I wrote was and is intended to be relevant to discussion of both
>components of the OP's subject request/proposal.
>
>The more I read of standards development discussions, the more sure I am
>that
>most observers, if not participants, are ensconced in a 96 DPI microcosm,
>and/or entranced by miniature web access device screens, and have no
>consciousness of life outside their little spheres.

It has been clear for quite some time that you do not understand and/or
agree why units are handled the way they are in CSS. We apologize
profusely for the limited radius of our little spheres and bow down in the
general direction of your superior consciousness. It's time to move on.

>Thus the ramifications of
>either that ill-conceived so-called back-compat, or the furtherance of
>that
>insanity by hijacking yet another physical unit, and further entrenching
>the
>unfortunate user affliction that is the use px units of any type to size
>web
>objects that should be or need to be legible and selectable, are simply
>not
>apparent to too many who may be party to the decision process.
>
>The px unit, whether actually matching the angular specification or
>otherwise, whether device px or CSS px, disregards users'
>pre-determination
>of any and every unit that can predictably result in legible, usable and
>respectful web pages on most device screens regardless of viewing
>distance,
>physical size or pixel density, pages that do not require employment of
>defensive measures to make them fit comfortably into their own workspaces
>as
>if they were meant to be used there instead of only on the stylists'
>screens.
>Providing yet another unit that is no more than a fraction or multiple of
>px unit can do nothing but compound the unnecessary affliction, and
>retard
>any possible evolution of usability either purposefully or unconsciously
>designed in as an essential element of the vast majority of web styling
>jobs.
>
>IOW, I implore implementation of the Q as a physical unit, or not at all.

So all the physical units would be 'logical' on screen except this one.
And a unit defined as 0.25mm would render in a way unrelated to 'mm' when
content is displayed on screen. What could go wrong with this plan?

For the last time, this thread is about adding support for Q. How CSS
units overall - Q *and* all the others - should be handled is a different
horse, one that has been dead and beaten for a long time. I will therefore
add my request To Tab's that you please stop trolling about this.