Re: [css3-books][css3-gcpm] multi-line leaders

On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 11:07 AM, Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com> wrote:
> I have another leader issue. Currently, the spec presecribes
> multi-line leaders in certain cases. One of the examples has this
> rendering:
>
>   Douglas Adams...
>   ..............42
>
> The normative text is:
>
>   If the presence of a minimum length leader at the end of a line
>   results in subsequent content being moved to the next line, the
>   leader will also appear at the beginning of the next line.
>
>   http://books.spec.whatwg.org/#leaders
>
> However, I'm unsure if multi-line leaders should be prescribed. Do
> multi-line leders exist in any typographical tradition? Samplings from
> three semi-random publications indicate that leaders only appear on
> a single line:
>
>   http://www.wiumlie.no/2013/whatwg/books/1.png
>   http://www.wiumlie.no/2013/whatwg/books/2.png
>   http://www.wiumlie.no/2013/whatwg/books/3.png
>
> If we decide that multi-line leaders should not be supported, one quick
> fix is probably to say:
>
>   If the presence of a minimum length leader at the end of a line
>   results in subsequent content being moved to the next line, the
>   leader will only appear at the beginning of the next line.
>
> Which should result in this rendering:
>
>   Douglas Adams
>   ..............42
>
> which may not be right either; none of the examples have a leader at
> the start of a line. An alternative may be:
>
>   Douglas
>   Adams.........42
>
> But I'm unsure if it looks better.
>
> Feedback welcome.

Yeah, none of your examples end up with something *just* long enough
that it doesn't fit on the same line as the number.  They're either
substantially longer, so they naturally wrap, or are purposely broken
earlier.

I do think I prefer having one thing wrap down to the next line.