Re: [css-values] The length unit 'Q' (quarter of millimeter)

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 08:20:26 -0800
To: Felix Miata <mrmazda@earthlink.net>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 4:07 AM, Felix Miata <mrmazda@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>> Pt for quite some time has been a synonym for px in
>>> Blink, Gecko, Trident and WebKit.
>>
>> No it's not.  1pt = 4/3px.  In easier terms, 12pt == 16px.
>
> A pt is a physical unit, while a px is a unit whose size varies widely
> according to screen density. You can claim a pt is a logical unit all you
> want, but that doesn't make it so except in a limited context needlessly
> divergent from all historical contexts and non-web current contexts.

I'm not sure why you think this is a rebuttal.  You said pt and px
were synonyms, implying that they're the same unit.  They are not, as
I explained.

As I said, please stop trying to hijack this thread with physical unit
discussions.  We've had this discussion ad nauseum, the reasoning
behind our decision is strong back-compat, and it's not going to be
revisited any time soon.

In particular, it's not going to be revisited *in this thread*.  Please stop.