Re: [css-values] The length unit 'Q' (quarter of millimeter)

On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 8:14 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 2:38 AM, MURAKAMI Shinyu <murakami@antenna.co.jp>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to propose adding a length unit, 'Q' (1Q = 0.25mm).
> >
> > The unit 'Q' is very common in Japanese typesetting and
> > all major professional typesetting system used in Japan support
> > this, for example, InDesign's Japanese version uses 'Q' as font size
> > unit by default setting.
> >
> > I think the unit 'Q' is not only necessary for Japanese typesetting
> > professionals but also useful for many other people worldwide using
> > the international standard metric system.
> >
> > See the following article for more details about 'Q':
> >
> >   Font size in the metric system (by Toshi Omagari)
> >   http://tosche.net/2013/10/font-size-in-the-metric-system_e.html
>
> I'm fine with this.  Typographic units in general probably need more love.
>
> Note that CSS is ASCII case-insensitive, so the dimension could also
> be spelled as just 'q'.
>
> I find it slightly ironic that a metric unit is used in a dyadic fraction.
> ^_^

Since this seems non-controversial and will help Japanese typesetting,
could we add this to the CSS agenda so it can be discussed?

I'm a little worried that text that is set in 'q' will look blurry on
screen (since it doesn't fall on a CSS pixel), but maybe browsers already
fix that. If not, text in converted 'q' units today already looks blurry.