Re: [css-images] element() image use cases

On 11/14/13 1:20 AM, "Dirk Schulze" <dschulze@adobe.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I had discussions with several developers and designers about the CSS
>image function element() [1]. I was asked why the WG did broadening the
>capabilities of element() so far. The element() function could promote
>bad practices rather than expressive functionalities. The concerns were
>not necessarily that functionalities should be limited but rather to be
>clear about consequences instead of adding extensive features because we
>can.
>
>These are without doubt very subjective impressions. I would like to ask
>the members of this mailing list to send Š (yes, I am absolutely serious
>here) Š use cases.
>
>It makes it a lot easier to justify if the functionality satisfies the
>expectations of the authors when we can do analyzes based on use cases.
>It may proof that the element() function is the right functionality.
>Sometimes analyzes can reveal that different, simpler functionalities are
>more sufficient.
>
>Thank you very much for participating and every use case you can bring
>up. I think this helps understanding the expected potential of element()
>a lot. I would like to collect these use cases on a Wiki page for later
>reference.
>
>Greetings,
>Dirk
>
>[1] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-images/#element-notation

I am expecting to use a self-referential version of element() for
shape-outside, to allow wrapping around rendered contours. The security
issues present in element() match the security issues in using rendered
contours for wrapping, so I think it's a good fit. But if we do not have a
self-referential version of element() a keyword could be used for the
shape-outside use case instead.

Thanks,

Alan