Re: [mediaqueries] Add "<" and ">" syntax?

From: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 11:29:57 +0800
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Cc: "www-style list" <www-style@w3.org>
On Wed, 13 Nov 2013 07:17:37 +0800, Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
wrote:

> Also sprach Tab Atkins Jr.:
>
>  > Media Queries currently states that it purposely went with the
>  > min/max- prefix approach for range-type queries specifically to avoid
>  > any issues with the "<" character in HTML/XML syntax.
>
> Yes, we were forced to use the contrived min/max syntax due to
> SGML/XML. If I recall correctly, only "<" was technically banned.

That was misguided, then, since that's not actually the case. In SGML, you
can use < in CDATA element so long as it's not followed by / followed by a
namestart character. In XML, you can use &lt; or a CDATA section.

Anyway, SGML is irrelevant now and HTML allows < in <style>.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software