Re: [css-device-adapt] Remove support for device-width, ?device-height

From: <rune@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 09:59:48 +0000
To: John Mellor <johnme@chromium.org>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>, Alexandre Elias <aelias@chromium.org>
Quoting Rune Lillesveen <rune@opera.com>:

> On Wed, 29 May 2013 13:02:41 +0200, John Mellor <johnme@chromium.org>  wrote:
>
>> So I support removing device-width/height from @viewport, but I
>> would go  further, and when translating meta viewport, I >would map
>>   width=device-width onto a width:auto @viewport (assuming
>> width:auto  means window width - i.e. I'd want
>> >"width=device-width" on its own to behave the same as "zoom:1").
>
> I'm assuming that "height=device-height" or "width=device-height" have
> not  been significantly used in the wild, so that should be fine, not
> causing  interoperability issues. Yes, width:auto means window width
> (unless  there's a non-auto height which yields a width based on height
> and aspect  ratio). So yes, I'm fine with that change too.

While drafting this, I figured out device-width/height would be
translated into '100%' instead of 'auto' since 'auto' would be
affected by the value in the other dimension.

Minor detail: width=device-height will now be the same as
width=device-width. Not that I think anyone would have used the former
consciously.

--
Rune Lillesveen