Re: [css-device-adapt] Remove support for device-width, device-height

On Wed, 29 May 2013 13:02:41 +0200, John Mellor <johnme@chromium.org>
wrote:

> +1. When authors use width=device-width what they usually intend is
> "this website has a flexible width layout, and its width >should fit the
> window size, rather than being zoomed".
>
> So in extending viewports from mobile into contexts where windows aren't
> always full width, it no longer makes sense to >specify viewports in
> terms of the full width/height of the device.
>
> So I support removing device-width/height from @viewport, but I would go
> further, and when translating meta viewport, I >would map
> width=device-width onto a width:auto @viewport (assuming width:auto
> means window width - i.e. I'd want >"width=device-width" on its own to
> behave the same as "zoom:1").

I'm assuming that "height=device-height" or "width=device-height" have not
been significantly used in the wild, so that should be fine, not causing
interoperability issues. Yes, width:auto means window width (unless
there's a non-auto height which yields a width based on height and aspect
ratio). So yes, I'm fine with that change too.

--
Rune Lillesveen