Re: [css-variables] Slight tweak to value space of CSS variables

From: Zack Weinberg <zackw@panix.com>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 11:52:14 -0400
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>, Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@exyr.org>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 11:43 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 10:51 PM, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:
>> One problem here is that CSS 2.1 produces BAD_STRING and BAD_URL at
>> end-of-file, when our current end-of-file handling rules say that
>> strings and URLs should in fact be valid.  (Though I'm tending
>> towards thinking that change may have been a mistake.)
>
> Note that Syntax produces valid strings and url tokens at EOF.

When I introduced the BAD_STRING and BAD_URL productions in 2.1 it was
not my intention to make them appear for strings/URLs terminated by
EOF; it was a corner case I missed.

On the other hand, I have never liked the "EOF closes all open
constructs without error" rule, and I suspect it could be removed
without webcompat fallout.