Re: [css-variables][css-cascade] interaction of variables with "initial", "inherit", "default" and the "all" shorthand

On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 9:50 PM, Zack Weinberg <zackw@panix.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 7:11 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 7:00 PM, Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au> wrote:
>>>   var-foo: 16px !important !important;
>>>   font-size: var(foo)
>>>
>>> is this equivalent to:
>>>
>>>   font-size: 16px !important;
>>
>> According to the current Syntax spec, yes.  "Consume a declaration"
>> will strip the last !important off and make the custom property
>> important, with the value "16px !important".
>
> I think that's both wrong-in-principle and a surprising change from
> 2.1.  Specifically, the 2.1 syntax allows there to be at most one ! in
> between the : and the ; for a property value and I think we ought to
> keep it that way.

Appendix G defines that; there's no such restriction in the Core
Grammar.  Treating it as Syntax does is perfectly compatible with
legacy, because "!important" is not valid for any property.

Whether this is the best way to handle it, I'm not sure of, which I
explicitly said in my last message. ^_^

~TJ