Re: [css-variables][css-cascade] interaction of variables with "initial", "inherit", "default" and the "all" shorthand

On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 7:00 PM, Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au> wrote:
> var-foo: var(foo) is pretty obscure.  I think it probably makes more sense
> to treat the global keywords as being interpreted here.  That seems to be
> more useful than being able to substitute "inherit" into another property's
> value.

I'm not sure of that, and I don't want to rule out possibilities unnecessarily.

> If you do:
>
>   var-foo: 16px !important !important;
>   font-size: var(foo)
>
> is this equivalent to:
>
>   font-size: 16px !important;

According to the current Syntax spec, yes.  "Consume a declaration"
will strip the last !important off and make the custom property
important, with the value "16px !important".

I'm not certain this will stay, however; the extensibility aspect of !
things hasn't been explored yet.

~TJ