Re: [cssom-view] Add a "smooth" parameter to scrollTo and scrollBy functions

From: Netmosfera <netmosfera@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 18:11:19 +0200
To: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
CC: www-style@w3.org, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Lea Verou <lea@w3.org>, Nat Duca <nduca@google.com>, James Simonsen <simonjam@chromium.org>, Tony Gentilcore <tonyg@google.com>, Tom Wiltzius <wiltzius@google.com>
Il 20/05/2013 13:58, Simon Pieters ha scritto:
 > On Sun, 19 May 2013 13:52:16 +0200, Netmosfera <netmosfera@gmail.com>
 > wrote:
 >
 >> (i didn't read the whole discussion)
 >>
 >> here's my opinion... some months ago i've suggested something similar
 >> on mozilla's bugzilla
 >>
 >> i don't actually like the idea of the "smooth scrolling" argument of
 >> scrollTo and scrollBy methods, because i think this should be applied
 >> also to scrollTop and scrollLeft properties
 >
 > With scrollTop and scrollLeft, I see these options:
 >
 > * Don't support smooth scrolling (except when set by CSS)
 > * Introduce new methods e.g. scrollTopSmooth and scrollLeftSmooth
 > * Introduce a new attribute on Element that acts as a flag for
 > scrollTop and scrollLeft
 > * Let scrollTop and scrollLeft take an object as value e.g.: {
 > value:10, smooth:true }
 >
 > The last option could work for scroll() et al, too.
 >
 >> i don't also like the idea of a global flag that enables or disables
 >> globally the smooth scrolling on cssom methods/properties
 >
 > Why not? (The proposed CSS property would be per-element, not global.)

isn't this enough?

el.style.scrolling = "normal";
el.scrollTop = 200;
el.style.scrolling = "smooth";

i mean, the "cssom flag" or any "additional func parameter" would only
reflect the css value... so, is it really necessary?

 > This seems equivalent to the proposed CSS property to enable smooth
 > scrolling for an element (or viewport for the root element), except
 > this supports setting time and timing function and doesn't support
 > using the platform's native time/timing function. It also means we
 > can't add a CSS property called 'scrolling'.
 >
 > It's not clear to me what problem you're trying to solve here that a
 > single CSS property dedicated to enabling smooth scrolling doesn't solve.

i'm not trying to solve any problem actually, just supposing what css
users would need!

for me it's an injustice that scrolling offset can't be controlled
within css

html{scrolling:100px 100px;}       == docel.scrollTo(100,100);
html{scrolling: to-element(#body > p:nth-child(5)) ;} ==
document.querySelector("#body > p:nth-child(5)").scrollIntoView();
html{scrolling: to-target }            ==
document.querySelector(location.hash).scrollIntoView();

and, animation should be fine-tunable in my opinion, means duration,
transition function and possibly delay...

(sorry for double mail, Simon Pieters, still not experienced with
mailing lists :( )