Re: [css-regions] Changed @region rule to ::region() pseudo-element

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 09:09:30 -0700
Cc: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com>, Sylvain Galineau <galineau@adobe.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
To: François REMY <francois.remy.dev@outlook.com>
On May 20, 2013, at 7:02 AM, François REMY <francois.remy.dev@outlook.com> wrote:

>>> ::region(>strong) {
>>> abc: def;
>>> @where :hover {
>>> abc: def;
>>> }
>>
>> I take this to mean '::region(>strong) :hover'. But how to do the embedding for '::region(>strong):hover' or '::region(>strong :hover)' or '::region(>strong:hover)'? The @rule didn't suffer this lack of clarity.
>
> You're right. I noted this issue before, but didn't notice it impaired nesting.
>
> So, if we want a pseudo element and justify this with nesting possibilities, we will need a pseudo-element without the parentheses (ie: a combinator-like pseudo-element), or we should use a true combinator or an at-rule instead.
>

> The advantage of the combinator is that you can use both the independent and grouped syntaxes:
>
>   my-region ... region-content {}
>   my-region ... region-content-2 {}
>
> and
>
>   my-region {
>      @then ... region-content {}
>      @then ... region-content-2 {}
>   }
>
> and
>
>   my-region {
>      @then {
>          region-content {}
>          region-content-2 {}
>      }
>   }
>
> while with @region you are forced to use the second alternative
>
>   @region my-region {
>     :scope region-content {}
>     :scope region-content-2 {}
>   }
>
> (note that it may be seen as an advantage by some)

I agree that the combinator approach looks and works better than the pseudo-element approach. But it seems a bit overkill to create a whole new combinator, just for use with regions only.

Also, of the examples you gave, the @region version had the best combination of compactness (once you remove the unnecessary ':scope' parts) and DRY-ness. And to my eye is the clearest.