Re: [css-display]? Compositing, expensive things, and laziness

On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 7:50 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:
> On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 8:09 AM, Ali Juma <ajuma@chromium.org> wrote:
>> If we don’t want the spinner to finish fading out until the expensive real
>> content can be faded in, we’d have to guess how long the expensive content
>> will take to paint, and use that guess when determining the duration of the
>> spinner fade-out.
>
> So this is a different use-case to the one Tab originally described?

It does sound slightly different (which may mean I misunderstood the
original feature request, or just that Ali is pointing out a somewhat
different use-case).

>> Also, rAF-driven animations would still stall while the expensive content
>> is being painted.
>
> I'm not suggesting a rAF-driven animation, just a rAF-triggered animation.

Right, but as soon as the animation triggers, and starts its expensive
paint, unrelated rAF timers will hitch as well.

~TJ