Re: margin-inline-start and friends

On Thursday 2013-05-09 14:06 -0700, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 2:02 PM, Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@exyr.org> wrote:
> > Le 09/05/2013 22:29, Tab Atkins Jr. a Γ©crit :
> >> No clue what the cascading story is.  I suspect, when we specify them,
> >> we'll use the established aliasing rules - the logical properties will
> >> be treated as shortcuts for the physical ones.  If we want them to
> >> cascade as an alias, we'll need to base them on document knowledge,
> >> but if we pursue some other strategy that lets them stick around until
> >> computed-value time, we can use the writing-mode properties to direct
> >> them.
> >
> > How would that work in the latter case, would we need to have a special
> > initial value that means "use the other set of properties"?
>
> Probably, yeah.

No, I think we want the two sets of properties to interleave
properly in terms of cascading.  This requires some extra
implementation work to get the cascading right.

In Gecko we currently implement this by expanding both into
shorthands as described in
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2002Sep/0049.html .

But once we make our CSS declaration storage order-preserving we
won't need to do this anymore.

-David

--
π„ž   L. David Baron                         http://dbaron.org/   𝄂