Re: margin-inline-start and friends

On 05/09/2013 06:23 AM, Simon Sapin wrote:
> Le 09/05/2013 07:54, fantasai a écrit :
>> Flow-Relative Directions
>> ------------------------
>>
>>     TabAtkins: Want to see if Block-axis logical names proposal makes
>>                people happy
>>     <dbaron>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2013Apr/0265.html
>>     TabAtkins: Proposal is to use 'start' and 'end' in both axes, and
>>                when necessary to disambiguate, use e.g. 'block-start' /
>>                'inline-start', or 'row-start' / 'column-start'.
>>     TabAtkins: Would also simplify spec text referring to start/before corner
>>     dbaron: Would existing margin-start/margin-end prefixed implementations
>>             become margin-inline-start/ margin-inline-end?
>>     fantasai: Yes, and that gives you very useful shorthands margin-inline
>>               and margin-block.
>
> Are the margin-(inline-)start and related properties specified somewhere? (In WG-space or not.)

They were part of Writing Modes, but I was asked to remove them at
TPAC 2010, prior to FPWD. You can see the spec, as of that point,
in the Mercurial logs:
   https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/csswg/raw-file/2f4ed77fc4b1/css3-writing-modes/Overview.src.html

> In particular, how do they cascade or otherwise interact with margin-top/right/bottom/left? Are they based on the
> direction/writing-mode properties like layout, or on document knowledge like the :dir() pseudo-class?

You need to cascade and compute writing-mode and direction first,
then cascade the logical properties. Antenna House Formatter has
an implementation of this, and helped us to specify it.

(We have at least four implementations of logical properties--
WebKit, AH, Gecko, and IE--but the CSSWG refuses to allow me
to create a spec for it.)

~fantasai