Re: [css-color] Have you considered standardizing a rgba(#RRGGBB, <alpha-value>) notation?

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2013 13:08:26 -0700
To: Lea Verou <lea@w3.org>
Cc: Sebastian Zartner <sebastianzartner@gmail.com>, Jake Archibald <jaffathecake@gmail.com>, Šime Vidas <sime.vidas@gmail.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 1:06 PM, Lea Verou <lea@w3.org> wrote:
> I think having two functions for very similar functionality (absolute vs relative adjustment) is a bit clumsy and inelegant. Apart from that, great idea! Not sure adjusting RGB channels is useful, but adjusting HSL channels is super useful.

It would be convenient if we could distinguish between "+50%" and
"50%", but you can't.

On the other hand, we could go the calc route and require a space, so
that "adjust-alpha(red, 50%)" would set the alpha to 50%, but
"adjust-alpha(red, + 50%)" would make the alpha 50% larger.  Seems
kinda clumsy, though.

~TJ