Re: Missing </head> in source of CSS specs causing problems for htmldiff tool?

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 09:53:34 -0700
To: Henrik Andersson <henke@henke37.cjb.net>
Cc: Šime Vidas <sime.vidas@gmail.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 9:27 AM, Henrik Andersson <henke@henke37.cjb.net> wrote:
> Tab Atkins Jr. skriver:
>> This is perfectly valid HTML. If htmldiff is breaking when its
>> omitted, then it's a broken tool.  It should get a better HTML parser.
>
> Valid? Yes. Good practice? No. Chance of the omission being a mistake? High.

Perfectly fine practice - we only add a <head> start tag to host some
attributes.  The </head> close tag adds literally nothing to the
document - the <body> starts as soon as you see an element that can't
belong in the head.  There's virtually no chance of a mistake.

HTML parsing is a solved problem - we have a spec that all browsers
follow, which specifies this down to the last detail.  htmldiff should
use this - there is a Python implementation in html5lib, but the spec
itself isn't hard to implement, just tedious.

~TJ