Re: [css4-ui] ::placeholder and :placeholder feedback

On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 10:42 AM, Sylvain Galineau <galineau@adobe.com> wrote:
> On 5/6/13 10:14 AM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>>The ::value pseudo-element doesn't meaningfully exist, though.  If
>>we'd *like* it to exist, then we can talk about its interaction with
>>::placeholder, and whether ::value+:placeholder-shown is a sufficient
>>replacement for ::placeholder.
>
> I have no idea what 'meaningful existence'…means; ::value remains
> defined in css3-ui [1] (though at risk). I do not see any language that
> suggests it will be removed vs. moved up to level 4.
>
> This feedback thus applies until this is clarified.
>
> [1] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-ui/#pseudo-elements

Unfortunately, UI isn't a reliable spec to look at for this kind of
data.  It contains several things which aren't implemented, and which
aren't planned on being implemented, but which Tantek is keeping in
this level for some reason.

It's been my impression that ::value was not a "real" thing, for some
reasonable definition of "real" which allows us to build other
features on top of it.

~TJ