Re: [css3-text] Feature request: "white-space: ignore"

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 10:38 AM, Bert Bos <bert@w3.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 December 2012 23:55:30 Zack Weinberg wrote:
>> The whitespace node comes from pretty-printing of the HTML source and
>> was not intended to be significant.  It would be nice if there were a
>> way to tell the renderer not to allocate any space for such
>> unintentional nodes.
>
> I have often wanted such a value myself and at one point we even had a
> proposal for it: 'text-space-collapse: discard'. (I think it would be
> easier to understand as part of 'white-space' though.)
[example snipped]

Off-list, fantasai suggested that Flexbox can handle this class of
problems, e.g.

# p {
#   display: flex;
#   flex-flow: row wrap;
#   align-items: baseline;
# }

would do what I wanted from my original example.  That's mimicking
inline-block, though, not inline, and is nonobvious -- but at least it
doesn't inherit?

Perhaps we ought to think about a mechanism whereby authors could
override normal inheritance rules.  That seems to me like it would fit
best as a !annotation:

dl { white-space: ignore !noinherit; }

zw