Re: [css3-page] Recommendation for page-size with UA interaction

On Wed, 2013-03-27 at 23:37 +0100, Julian Viereck wrote:
> From an internal chat I had with Simon:
>
> On 3/26/13 9:28 AM, Simon Sapin wrote:
> >> Julian Viereck wrote:
> >>
> >> We are talking here only about print-header/footer but similar things
> >> apply for page-size. E.g. in Gecko/Firefox, the user can change the
> >> page-size from the print-preview menu e.g. on Linux. There should be a
> >> recommendation what todo if the website developer specifies a page-size
> >> (e.g. disable page-size selection in the UA).

Do not disable page selection - example: page says A4 paper, but the
user's printer has only US Letter (or the other way round). Set the
specified page size as default maybe, but that's a hassle if you're
printing lots of documents and have to change the default each time.

Some printers, if you send US Letter jobs to an A4 printer, will sit
with one LED eye weeping until you press them on the nose, and will beep
forlornly at you, so you have to reset the printer then cancel the print
job then turn the printer back on then go to print again and this time
remember to change the paper size... it's just not a very sexy user
experience.

It's also possible to switch paper size part-way through a job, most
commonly done for large illustrations or tables so they can fold out.
Not all printers can do that.

Some programs (e.g. Acrobat) have an option (selected by default) to
scale down as necessary to fit the document on the paper, avoiding the
Weeping LED problem.

Liam