Re: [css4-background] use cases for 'border-corner-shape'?

On Mar 24, 2013, at 4:39 PM, "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:

> On Sunday 2013-03-24 16:24 -0700, Brad Kemper wrote:
>> On Mar 24, 2013, at 2:38 PM, "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I don't think there's enough
>>> demand to ask that it be put into CSS as its own feature, requiring
>>> substantial addition of implementation complexity (e.g., clipping
>>> regions of those shapes, etc.).
>>
>> Do you expect to be implementing CSS Masking using
>> border-image-like syntax? (1) If so, isn't the new feature pretty
>> much just syntactic sugar for an internally created SVG
>> border-image and mask?
>
> I don't think so, because it creates different author expectations
> of performance.  If authors use a masking feature, they're more
> likely to expect a substantial performance hit than for a border
> feature.  Then again, maybe authors should expect substantial
> performance hits for borders; they're often pretty slow.

Speaking for myself as an author, I didn't even know I was supposed to expect a substantial performance hit for masking. I learn something new every day, I guess (2 things for today, now that you've also told me general borders are already sometimes pretty slow). So, is the amount of effort to make a border shapes CSS feature more performant than the SVG masking feature part of the reason why you are reticent?