Looking at editor’s drafts or /TR (was: URI tokenization and tabs)

Le 23/03/2013 06:19, Liam R E Quin a écrit :
> Documents on dev.w3.org or dvcs.w3.org may or may not represent the
> consensus of a Working Group, and are usually just working drafts not
> ready to be implemented.

I’s not always that simple. In my short time as an editor, I got working
group resolutions before making non-editorial changes to EDs. Reporting
issues in a WD without looking at the ED is just pointless, as they
might have already been fixed. As an implementer, I’ve been told a few
times to look at the ED because a WD had just not been re-published yet.

We published this month a new css3-page WD. Before that, some changes
that had been resolved by the working group had been sitting for
*several years* in the ED, unpublished on /TR.

Sometimes, important details are a bit "hand-wavy" or plain undefined in
CSS 2.1. In such cases, even a not-ready-to-be-implemented Level 3 ED
can be immensely useful to implementers. (See counter styles, intrinsic
sizes, …)

>> I think only one or two of the documents in www.w3.org are "formally"
>> obsoleted,
>
> In that case they say so, right up at the front, in big letters.

Some documents on /TR are "dangerously outdated". Some, but *not all of
them* are marked as such in big letter. The 2003 css3-syntax WD is an
example.

What’s the process for getting non-content updates to /TR, such as
adding an obsolescence notice? Is it easier than a new WD?

>>   but, you know, they are just old.
>
> No, documents are still being published on www.w3.org/TR every week.

/TR has some publication every week, but each document is re-published
much less frequently (months to years), even those that are actively
being worked on.

Maybe this would get better with less process and more automation for
updated WDs?

Cheers,
--
Simon Sapin