Re: [mediaqueries4] Media queries for multichannel audio ?

On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 16:03:48 +0100, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com>
wrote:

> Florian, all,
>
> How do I progress this issue ? Do I need to file a bug ? (where?) Do I
> need to join the WG ?

Leaving your other two issues aside for the moment, and focusing on the
mutichannel part.

There is no need to join the WG, raising the issue in this mailing list
and following up on conversations (as you are doing) is normally enough.
Once we reach sufficient consensus, or at least understand well enough the
questions that needs to be answered, we can take it to one of our weekly
conference calls to try and decide one way or the other.

 From where I stand, I see a few open questions with your proposal:

  * Should it be number of channels, or number of speakers?
To answer this questions, we would need a variety of use cases to be
described, to be able to judge which one fits best.

  * If number of speakers, can that be reliably detected?
I am not an expert on the topic, but it seems to be that the OS (let alone
the browser) is not necessarily aware of how many physical speakers there
are.

  * It seems to me that your main use case for this media query would not
actually be applying different styles based on the situation, but feed
that back into javascript, and use it there. If that's the case, I wonder
if media queries is the best tool to solve the problem.

  - Florian