Re: [css3-align] Some questions about justify-self

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 4:24 PM, Christian Biesinger
<cbiesinger@chromium.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 4:03 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>> For guidance, check out the Flexbox Baselines section
>> <http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-flexbox/#flex-baselines>, which is very
>> precise and explains how to handle cases when there's no appropriate
>> baseline in a particular direction.
>
> Does this mean that the synthesized baseline may have to be used also
> for justify-content: baseline?
>
> Just to make sure I understand this correctly - in this case:
> http://plexode.com/eval3/#s=aekVQXANJVQMbAx1yAXgePQMOWEZDTEpVDktWVFVKR1oORFBPVUauGwFDQlRGTUpPRhyaHz1PvwEBlZeZm52foZxToblIDk5QRUayV0ZTp0RCTQ5NUxwBiw6IslG5TL0nSlOmw1RWQx8lSlcdEO/x9nK+T8LETCaTieUCiLDMU5PZ7RabVa7Zbbdb7hcayXBISBIKZGLTgRIORSyCYRKJZXo0IysJ5FALzeoQfa/X76D4DLwA
>
> "First" and "Second" should be aligned, right?

Yes, they have vertical baselines in the obvious places, and so will
line up if you use justify-self:baseline.  (Assuming block layout,
where the justify axis is the inline axis.)

>> "stretch" should act the same way it does in Flexbox - if 'height' is
>> "auto", it sets the height such that the margin box exactly fills the
>> available space (treating auto margins as zero, unless they've already
>> been resolved).  If 'height' isn't auto, is does nothing, and acts
>> like 'start'.
>
> (Huh, that behavior surprised me. I expected flexbox to stretch an
> explicit-height item, just like flex:1; will flex an explicit-width
> item)

If that was the case, it would be impossible to get a flex item to
*not* be stretched.  It's easy to make it stretchy - just leave the
height alone, as it's "auto" by default.

> I assume that similarly, "center" will center the margin-box, and not
> the border-box or content-box.

Correct.

>>> Maybe top and bottom?
>>
>> Nope, they can't be explicitly directional, because they're
>> writing-mode specific.  That axis will be horizontal in Japanese.
>
> Hm... good point. I'm out of ideas.

So is everyone else.  ^_^

>>> Right, I didn't fully understand that's how they worked. Would it make
>>> sense to add a non-normative paragraph to the spec that basically says
>>> what you just said?
>>
>> The idea is that hopefully the logical directions will become common
>> enough that people understand that automatically.  ^_^  But I'll see
>> what I can do.
>
> Thanks. By the way, why does justify-content also have "left" and
> "right"? Everything else in this spec only uses logical directions
> (start/end/head/foot).

Good question.  fantasai?