Re: [selectors] Matching of :first-child and the like for elements whose parent is not an element

On Tue, 19 Mar 2013 22:15:34 +0100, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:

> On 3/19/13 4:53 PM, Henrik Andersson wrote:
>> If that is true then this should match:
>>
>> * html {
>
> No, because * explicitly matches only elements

Not just *, but in general the concept of a "document tree" in CSS is that
of a tree of elements, which isn't exactly equivalent to the DOM.

That's why I think it would be confusing to have :first-child etc match
something that isn't a child in this sense. Also, as has been pointed out
already, the current definition has been around for a long time. So I tend
to think that it should be kept, at the very least for the non-fragment
case (it's not clear to me what exactly the concrete use-cases for
fragments would be).

--
Øyvind Stenhaug
Opera Software ASA