Re: [cssom-view] Add a "smooth" parameter to scrollTo and scrollBy functions

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 2:30 PM, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com> wrote:
> Is there no desire to control how long it should take to scroll? Is there no
> desire to control the timing function (ease/linear/etc)?

We believe that the time to scroll should be based on the distance,
which means you can't put it in the author's hands at all.  Similarly,
though a timing function *might* be justifiable, we think it's best
for the user to use the platform's native conventions for smooth
scrolling, as changes in how this works from app to app would be
jarring.  The benefit to the app from being able to tweak the timing
function seem minimal compared to the usability cost.

If, in the future, we decide it would be useful, we can just
reinterpret the argument as a timing function, such that "smooth"
means "use the UA's native scrolling behavior".