Re: timing functions in reversed animations

Hi Garrett,

(2013/03/16 2:15), Garrett Smith wrote:
> On 2/20/13, Brian Birtles <bbirtles@mozilla.com> wrote:
>> That sounds like what we've specified for Web Animations as per this
>> diagram:
>>

>> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/FXTF/raw-file/default/web-anim/img/time-calculations.svg
>
> That diagram needs a key!
>
> What's "inherited timeline"?
>   "Active time" -- is that Elapsed Time?
>   "Scaled Active Time"?
>   "Iteration time"
>   "Directed time"

Those terms are defined in the spec itself:

   https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/FXTF/raw-file/default/web-anim/index.html

The caption for the diagram has links to the definitions (see section 12.1).

> My problem solution has timeLimit for the animation's running time and
> a rationalValue of how far along the timeline. How do you apply such
> concepts?

At a guess timeLimit corresponds to 'active duration' and rationalValue
corresponds to 'time fraction' in Web Animations terms.

However, what Web Animations does here is beside the point. There may be
more natural ways of reversing transitions that avoid inconsistencies
and these can still be realised using the underlying Web Animations
model by generating a separate reverse animation.

Thanks,

Brian