Re: [css3-page] Idea for simplier page-margin boxes

Thanks for the valuable feedback. I've read the links you shared and
tried to get a big picture. Here is what I'm thinking about this.

 > However this draft has been around and kind of stable for a long
time, so the plan is to publish css3-page Soon® without much more
features than it currently has, and start in parallel with css3-page.

I don't have much experiences with how specs are written and how they
evolve. Does the time a spec is worked on has any direct implication on
the quality of the spec and therefore then older the spec gets there is
no way to change it anymore - even although it's not official yet?

---

Julian Viereck wrote:

  > Reading the current dev spec at [1] about page-margin boxes I dislike that
  >
  > 1) the defined boxes are inflexible in the positioning on the page
  > 2) defining the content is limited to using the "content" property of CSS

If I get this right, css4-page builds on top of css3-page. By using new
standards (I think the regions spec was mentioned here) the css4-page
spec might be able to solve my problem of inflexible margin-boxes as
raised in point 1). Lets assume for now that css4-page will solve my
problem 1). But then I don't see why there is a spec for fixed
positioned margin-boxes as defined in css3-page and one iteration later
in css4-page it's possible to define them more flexible? This looks like
more work for implementers to me as they have to implement two somewhat
redundant specs that define the position of the margin boxes on a page.

---

On 3/4/13 3:50 PM, Håkon Wium Lie wrote:

> Different font/styles in the same margin box cannot be achieved using
> css3-page. However, GCPM specifies a way:
>
>    http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-gcpm/#running-elements

The running element spec looks very similar to my idea of using "position: pagebox" here. However, the running-element spec looks more complicated to implement compared to adding a new "position" property option. Do you have some key points why the running-element could not be replaced by the "position: pagebox" idea?

Very best,

Julian