Re: [css3-mediaqueries] device-width/device-height on rotatable devices

Le 08/03/2013 13:33, James Holderness a écrit :
> It's worth pointing out that the viewport width and height don't necessarily
> have any relation to the physical orientation of the device (nor does the
> orientation media query for that matter). It's not unthinkable to have a
> webview in a mobile application with a viewport that has a different aspect
> ratio (and thus potentially a different orientation) to the device itself.

Yes, this is what makes 'aspect-ratio' different from
'device-aspect-ratio'. In this context, 'orientation' means which of
width or height is bigger. It is not about which axis is called width or
height.

> Also consider this from the point of view of a "desktop" browser on a
> rotatable monitor. Let's say your browser window and the monitor itself both
> start off in a landscape orientation. Then you rotate your monitor to
> portrait, but your browser window doesn't resize, so the viewport width and
> height don't change, and the orientation doesn't change. I'm
> assuming,though, that you would expect the device-width and device-height to
> change?
>
> That's not an unreasonable expectation, but it wouldn't surprise me if
> others disagreed with you.

I think that the 'width' properties on elements, the 'width' media
feature and the 'device-width' media feature should all always be about
the same axis. Everything else should derive from this principle.

(In particular, orientation/aspect-ratio/device-aspect-ratio are all
defined based on width/height/device-width/device-height.)

--
Simon Sapin