Re: [css3-mediaqueries][mediaqueries4] "never necessary to apply the style sheet in order to evaluate expressions."

On Fri, 01 Mar 2013 14:58:36 +0100, Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@exyr.org>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Both levels have the same paragraph at the end of section 2:
>
>> To avoid circular dependencies, it is never necessary to apply the
>> style sheet in order to evaluate expressions. For example, the aspect
>> ratio of a printed document may be influenced by a style sheet, but
>> expressions involving ‘device-aspect-ratio’ will be based on the
>> default aspect ratio of the user agent.
>

> This is not the case anymore. @viewport rules do influence MQs:
> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-device-adapt/#media-queries
>

> We’re discussing doing something similar in css3-page, which would make
> even the example quoted above wrong.
>
> At least the word "never" needs to be changed in Level 4, but I would be
> in favor of rewriting the whole paragraph and errata the Level 3 REC.
> Proposed wording:
>
>      Unless otherwise specified, it is not necessary to apply
>      stylesheets in order to evaluate expressions.

>      defines how '@viewport' rules interact with Media Queries.

Agreed. Let's see what we do with paged media first so can get both in in
one shot, and then (if the WG agrees) I'll add this to the draft.

  - Florian