Re: [css3-page] Add way for webpage to signal UA to disable default footer/header

On 04/03/13 17:01, Simon Sapin wrote:

> So another option could be, as you say, to completely disable the
> default headers and footers in some situation:
>
> a. If at least one page-margin box is generated [1] on the current page.
> (I don’t like the inconsistency between pages of the document)
>
> b. … on any page of the same document (costly to implement, you need to
> look for "propagated" values of the 'page' property in the box tree.)
>
> c. If any margin at-rule is used in author stylesheets (simpler)
>
> d. With an explicit switch, maybe a new property in the @page context.
> (Not very elegant.)
>
> e. Some other condition?
>
> [1] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-page/#generated
>

> What do you think?

I think we're on a dangerous path here, where author's settings
could override user defined settings... In our case, have a document
tell the UA to override the header/footer settings specified in the
print dialog. Careful, careful.

In fact, the best option would be to

0. implement @page and the margin boxes rules
1. have browsers implement the print dialog's current 6 margin boxes
    through a UA @page and page margin boxes
2. a radio in the print dialog "let the document specify headers
    and footers" and another radio "override document headers/footers"

That way all is based on the cascade and the user can always have
all the various settings applied.

</Daniel>