Re: [cssom-view] colorDepth/pixelDepth, match implementations or theoretical purity?

On Wednesday 2013-06-19 14:49 -0700, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> These features are basically useless.  Nearly every device that
> matters has 24/8 color, and even for those that have 30/2 or something
> more exotic, you need the entire browser and rendering pipeline to
> support it before it makes sense to return the value to authors.
>
> I support speccing colorDepth/pixelDepth as a static 24 for now, and
> separately, checking usage to see if we can just drop it.  I support
> *not* implementing alphaDepth at all, for the reasons stated above.

I'm skeptical about hard-coding it to 24.  I think a bunch of mobile
devices these days are still using 16-bit color (though I'm not
sure).  We also have media queries for roughly the same information.

I tend to think if it's something that authors never care about we
wouldn't have added it to two different properties on the screen
object and to media queries.  Though maybe I'm wrong.

Otherwise, though, I agree; I don't see the rationale for adding
any new features here.

-David