Re: [css-display]? Compositing, expensive things, and laziness

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 4:15 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
> Now, the proposal:
>
> We'd like to propose a way for an author to tag an element as being
> "lazy" or "optional" in some sense, such that it's okay to let it lag
> other things in displaying in situations like what I outline above.
> This would be merely a rendering hint, with no direct effect
> otherwise.

Ali has just produced a nice-looking spec proposal for this:
<https://docs.google.com/a/google.com/document/d/1JtUflBaj6_MjAzsDhtoEoxiYCxQXzSvzAw3NWpxTwvk/edit>

The gist of it is that you can declare an element to be "optional",
which just means that it SHOULD be rendered, but may do so late and
not in-sync with the rest of the stuff on screen.  I think this is
sufficiently generic to not accidentally bake in current
implementation details, while still being relatively clear and useful.

Additionally, it defines two events for when an optional element is
rendered or unrendered, so you can show/hide cheap placeholders.