Re: Use of Futures/Promises in CSS Font Face APIs

On Sat, Jun 8, 2013 at 10:38 AM, Mark S. Miller <erights@google.com> wrote:

> I agree with all but one sentence of Alex's message. Unfortunately, the
> sentence in question is bold. Object.observe reached an official consensus
> in TC39, not just in broad strokes but in details. It is in fact the right
> precedent for thinking about Promises. Object.observe happened on a fast
> track because a) people were eager for it soon, and b) Rafael did a superb
> job of getting the details right in multiple ways -- all of which mattered.
> Even then, what TC39 does from here is not moot, though it is unlikely to
> be disruptive unless a bad problem is found. I find the use of the term
> "moot" to be entirely counter-productive -- asking for a fight where none
> is needed.

Apologies for perhaps over-broad language, and not fight is intended
(obviously...I'm part of both the W3C and TC39 worlds).

That said, the reality is this: what DOM/CSSOM does is going to happen
first, and a result, it's not necessary for the CSS WG to particularly pay
attention to the controversies that are outlined below. They are important,
and will get settled, but the high order bit is that TC39 has agreed to be
compatible and that the DOM spec is canonical.