Re: [css3-fonts] additional comments on synthetic italics from Taro Yamamoto

Thanks John,

Very useful and insightful article.

I suppose I zoomed in particular two aspects of his conclusions.

Rephrasing them in my own way:

* Slanting Japanese glyphs is a different operation to
italicising/obliquing characters; and

* In Western typography italicising and obliquing carries contextual
meaning (what the HTML crowd would refer to as semantic) and Japanese has
its own separate typographic conventions for similar semantic usage.

One thing I am not clear on from this discussion is, what semantic meanings
are imbued in slanting/transforming Japanese text in this way. Any one care
to enlighten me? What HTML elements would you possibly apply this
transformation to?

Andrew

--
Andrew Cunningham
Project Manager, Research and Development

Ph: +61-3-8664-7430
Mobile: 0459 806 589
Email: acunningham@slv.vic.gov.au
          lang.support@gmail.com