Re: [css3-text] letter-spacing and ligatures

Alan Stearns wrote:

> Zero is an explicit length value - do you mean to have
> 'letter-spacing:0px' turn off ligatures? That seems odd to me. I'm not
> sure what the intent of the 'enabled by default' phrasing is. I'd suggest
> just removing the parenthetical:
>
>   When the effective letter-spacing between two characters is not zero

Right, make that 'non-zero length value':

>  When 'letter-spacing' is set to an explicit non-zero length value,
>  optional ligatures enabled by default are explicitly disabled.

The "enabled by default" phrase is there because to match phrasing in
the Fonts spec which describes default features. Basically, the user
agent should explicitly disable common ligatures but *not* required
ligatures.  And I don't think the user agent should worry about other
ligature forms (discretionary, historical, yadda, yadda).

Cheers,

John Daggett