[css-cascade][Editorial] "avoid retrieving resources" with MQs in @import

From: Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@exyr.org>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 13:01:31 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org
Hi,

In its definition of @import, css-cascade has this sentence:

> So that user agents can avoid retrieving resources for unsupported
> media types, authors may specify media-dependent @import rules.

I think this is misleading and should be removed. Media Queries are not
about resources retrieving, but conditional application of rules and
stylesheets in the cascade.

css-cascade should introduce them as such, and only secondarily say that
UAs *may* deprioritize or otherwise delay the retrieving of resources
that do not apply. (Although CSSOM maybe constrains this.) UAs *may*
still choose to load them in case they start to apply later.

Resource loading is undefined in CSS 2.1, and I believe it should stay
that way in Cascade Level 3. We had discussions a few months ago about
adding an explicit "defer" flag for resources that do not apply. Please
start a new thread if you want to discuss that further.

Cheers,
--
Simon Sapin