Re: [css4-background] 9-part slicing images in background-image

On 25/07/2013, at 8:54 AM, Liam R E Quin <liam@w3.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 2013-07-24 at 11:14 +1000, Dean Jackson wrote:
>> On 24/07/2013, at 11:07 AM, Liam R E Quin <liam@w3.org> wrote:
>>
>>> On Wed, 2013-07-24 at 04:40 +1000, Dean Jackson wrote:
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> Is there a reason why they are restricted to 9 and not also 16 (giving
>>> centre pieces on the edges)?
>>
>> Two reasons come to mind:
>>
>> - Designers typically work with 9-part images.
>
> I don't think that's true for print.

Can you give examples?

>> - The syntax for 9 part border images is already borderline confusing
>> (get it? borderline!). Adding any more slices will likely explode
>> brains.
>
> Possibly, but the nested HTML div markup for centred decorations on a
> border is a pain to get right too,

Really? It's only one level of nesting.

Also, if they want truly centered inner borders, I expect they want 5x5 images, not 4x4. I think once you get to that level of syntax complexity you're going to be better off with nested elements.

> and you can't rely on polyfills for
> print engines that likely don't have JavaScript.

That's true. Again, I think we need examples from the print community. I don't follow this list completely, but I can't remember any requests for this.

Dean