Re: A property for font antialiasing control on Mac OS X

On Jul 17, 2013, at 7:39 PM, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 5:58 PM, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 2013-07-17 17:04 -0700, Rik Cabanier wrote:
> > Other cases where you might want to turn off anti-aliasing:
> > - animations
> > when animating text, you don't want to anti-alias because of performance
> > and also because subpixel AA will cause "jiggling" of characters when you
> > move a text run
>
> The jiggling is a result of subpixel *positioning* of text (which
> also requires re-rasterizing for the different subpixel positions,
> which integer shifts don't).  I think that's independent of
> antialiasing.
>
> It depends how you do subpixel AA. I agree that in most cases you won't be able to tell the difference.'

The property I was speaking about is 'text-rendering'. If you use text-rendering: geometricPrecision you won't see the described problems.

> > - content that will end up in a 3d transform
>
> Implementations already know how to disable subpixel AA here;
> authors don't need to give hints.
>
> I think you misunderstood.
> What I meant is that if you have text that is going to be animated, transitioned or will have a 3d transform applied to it, you want to disable subpixel positioning. Otherwise you will notice a change in rendering when it is animated.

Try the text-rendering property on SVG content. Would be interesting if you still experience issues during text animations (with SVG animations on <text>). I did not test if this property works on HTML content as well, but assume that this depend on the platform. After all, it was just specified for SVG in the first place. On SVG I did not experience AA issues with this property set.

Greetings,
Dirk