Re: [selectors] Finding a way to run "complete" profile selectors in CSS

On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 5:40 PM, Sylvain Galineau <galineau@adobe.com> wrote:
> On 7/11/13 5:09 PM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>>On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 4:41 PM, Sylvain Galineau <galineau@adobe.com>
>>wrote:
>>> So we have two solutions and we're asking people to think of problems
>>> they could solve?
>>
>>...what?  No.  I'm asking for what the usage patterns of "slow
>>selectors" might be, so we can decide what solution best addresses
>>them.
>>
>>The problem in question is stated right at the very beginning of my email.
>
> Solutions to the 'problem' should be derived from use-cases. Instead we're
> making up solutions and then asking what problems they'd solve to validate
> them. You really think nothing can go wrong here?

I'm not sure exactly what you're having trouble with.  Or maybe I just
don't understand exactly what you're asking for use-cases for?  I
explained the basic issue - there's a set of selectors that are, in
general, too slow for normal CSS matching.  Are you arguing against
that, or asking for examples of those selectors in use?  (If you are,
that's a completely different question - I'd be happy to justify the
addition of each of the "slow" selectors in a separate thread.)

If that's not what you're asking, then you'll have to be more
specific.  The use-case is "these selectors are useful, but I want to
use them in normal CSS rather than just qSA", and should be pretty
much self-explanatory.  Is this not sufficient? What else are you
asking for?

~TJ