Re: [selector-profiles] confusion

On Jul 11, 2013 6:39 AM, "Lea Verou" <lea@w3.org> wrote:

> On Jul 11, 2013, at 09:51, François REMY <francois.remy.dev@outlook.com>
wrote:
> > That people will probably be even more confused to get selectors in
their OM that actually do not work. Do not forget that if the selector show
up in the CSSOM, you've no way to tell if it works or not except by looking
at the results. You could not even use qSA to test support since qSA would
support it.

> > It seems already weird enough that there could be a difference between
qSA and normal CSS, let's try not to add ghost selectors to the mix.

> Good point, that would break feature detection indeed :(
>
> I still think there should be some way for authors to opt in to using
these selectors in a static manner, or the possibility to use polyfills
that do so by utilizing qSA...somehow. It seems so wasteful to make the
effort to support them and not let authors take advantage of them in
regular CSS at all, even statically and/or with some limitations. Any
thoughts on how that could happen?

> Cheers,
> Lea

We will make it happen, it just means we have to parse the CSS again...
That is actually why i asked in the first place:  it's going to be used in
CSS either way...Native obviously could be faster.