Re: real vs. synthetic width glyphs

On Tue, 09 Jul 2013 20:09:25 +0200, Sylvain Galineau <galineau@adobe.com>
wrote:

> By 'if using 1/n glyphs is not optimal' do you mean 'if *the author* does
> not want to use the 1/n glyphs provided by the font'? If so then yes,
> it's
> absolutely fine for them to be able to override the default behavior.
> It's
> also fine for UAs to do something interesting when no such glyphs are
> present in the specified font. I do not think any of this is really the
> issue though.
>
> The argument is about *requiring* interoperable behavior when the font
> does provides 1/n glyphs. My understanding of the resolution is that it
> does not actually do so.

My understanding of the resolution is the same as yours. As requiring the
use
of special glyphs when they are all available leaves the door open for
Koji's
#12 use case, I think the only question left is Elika's "MI" use case.

In the example posted by John, I agree that MI is nicer in case (5) than
(4),
but MM is not. So this could indeed be a reason to let the UA be smart.
But should
that be by default, or opt in? Given that MI isn't the main use case, and
that
for digits (which are), (4) is always better than (5), I must admit that I
do
find the opt-in solution tempting. But at least now, I can see that there
are
situations where all variant glyphs are available but using them isn't the
ideal.

  - Florian