Re: [css3-writing-modes] tatechuyoko examples with real vs. synthetic glyphs

On 7/4/13 12:58 AM, "John Daggett" <jdaggett@mozilla.com> wrote:

>I think it's much better and not difficult to require that user agents
>render with the variant glyphs (4) if possible, and use scaling (5)
>otherwise.

I agree with this position. If the variant glyphs are available, then they
should be used. Doing anything else subverts the font designer's intent.
If the glyphs aren't available, then you can fall back to transforming and
compressing what glyphs are available. But we should never allow
transforming and compressing full-width glyphs when the proper variants
could be used instead.

Thanks,

Alan