Re: [css3-writing-modes] real vs. synthetic width glyphs

Koji Ishii wrote:

> >So I fail to see how you can assert that they *won't* be used in
> >vertical text runs.  I think part of the problem is that you're
> >talking to a select audience of publishers rather than the more
> >general audience of web authors that will use this feature once the
> >functionality of this spec is more widely implemented.
>
> Yeah, you're right, I'm not asserting, guessing, and I'm not
> interviewing much with web authors. I still guess there's not much
> needs, given Word/Ichitaro/InDesign doesn't do this, and we don't
> hear any such feedback against our public WD. If you have any good
> idea to assert it more firmly to either way, that'd be great.

Koji, we're specifying a spec for web content not for
Word/Ichitaro/InDesign. If existing web forms on some Japanese sites
already require the use of full-width digits for address entry, it
doesn't make sense to assert that there won't be content using
full-width digits when those same addresses happen to be displayed
vertically.

That's why we need to specify 'text-combine-horizontal' with enough
specificity so that the quality of display of such content will be
consistent across user agents.

Cheers,

John