[selectors4] Using the complete profile in non-interactive media?

From: Lea Verou <lea@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 21:45:46 +0300
To: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
Currently, Selectors 4 [1] says:

> CSS implementations conformant to Selectors Level 4 must use the ‘fast’ profile for CSS selection.

I'm not sure what this leaves besides the Selectors API, but shouldn't UAs use the complete profile for non-interactive media as well, such as print? The performance issues are not present there, right?

Also, why is this a "must" and not a "may"? With this wording, if a UA finds a way to support the complete profile for CSS Selection, it will be a spec violation! Or am I missing something?

[1]: http://dev.w3.org/csswg/selectors4
[2]: http://dev.w3.org/csswg/selectors4/#profiles

Lea Verou
W3C developer relations