Re: [cssom] Proposal for obtaining robust style information via Javascript - getStyle()

On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 2:25 AM, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:
> On Thursday 2013-01-31 18:11 -0800, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>> >
>> > This information being specified/cascaded style values?
>> >
>> > There's certainly interest from me.  ;)
>>
>> In that case, let's get this done.  Francois' outline of a solution
>> earlier in this thread sounds great to me.  The only thing I'd change
>> is to make the property name optional too, in which case it's
>> identical to calling getComputedStyle() on the element.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> I'd actually rather have separate methods or (probably preferably)
> getters for each sort of value we'd want to return (the set is
> pretty small) than have string arguments for "specified",
> "computed", etc.
>
> For example, maybe something like:
>   element.specifiedStyle.color
>   element.computedStyle.color
>   element.usedStyle.color
>   element.pseudoStyle("::before").specifiedStyle.color

This syntax means that you have to choose between two potentially bad options:

A) element.*Style returns a "live" object which whose .color property
always is up-to-date. Or at least is up-to-date as long as the element
is in the document and is being rendered.

B) element.specifiedStyle returns a full non-live snapshot of all CSS
properties. And element.specifiedStyle == element.specifiedStyle is
false.

B seems bad to me for both reasons mentioned. A seems quite ok to me,
but there were some unpleasant sounds coming from Tab earlier in this
thread at the mention of live objects. But I think the implementation
of the

theLiveSpecifiedStyleObject.color

getter would simply call whatever internal function
element.getStyle("color", "", "specified") would call.

/ Jonas