Re: [CSS4 color][CSS4 transition] color pre-multiplied vs non pre-multiplied was (Re: [CSSWG] Minutes TPAC Tue 2012-10-30 AM I: Abstract Directions, Transforms, Transitions)

On 5/02/2013 3:08 PM, Rik Cabanier wrote:

> No, it's different (see attached)
> In order to emulate the bottom gradient, you need to create an extra color
> stop under the hood.

Thank you (I did correct myself). This is what I said well over a year
ago (July 2011 to be precised). At the time, an implementer said that I
was wrong about the creation of an extra color stop [1]. I was only
wrong with rgba(255,0,0,0) 50% and rgba(0,0,255,0) 50%. I quote the
response below.

It would be good to have a open discussion about this. I have
demonstrated many gradient effects that can only been done in non
pre-multiplied colorspace.

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 5:39 AM, Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com> wrote:
 > The way Opera interpolates this gradient,
 >
 >   linear-gradient(red, transparent, blue)
 >

 > suggest that internally, a double color stop (as shown below) is
generated.

 >   rgba(255,0,0,0) 50%, rgba(0,0,255,0) 50%
 >

 > So in affect, the keyword 'transparent' is already behaving as a switch.

No.  Internally, the colors are interpolated in premultiplied space.
There is no switch or duplication of color-stops.

1. http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2011Jul/0532.html

--
Alan Gresley
http://css-3d.org/