Re: [text-decor-3] Emphasis marks and ruby

On 02/01/2013 10:33 PM, MURAKAMI Shinyu wrote:
>>     * Koji has found examples where the dots are instead placed as
>>       close as possible to the base text, so immediately above base
>>       characters without ruby, above the ruby for characters that have it.
>
> I think this behavior is much better than to hide ruby in many cases.

OK. So, there are several things we could do with the spec, which of these do
you recommend?

Question 1:

   Should we remove allowing to hide ruby when emphasis marks are present?
   a) yes
   b) no

Question 2:

   What should the spec say wrt emphasis mark position when ruby is present?

   a) Require placing emphasis marks as close as possible to base text
      (Antenna House default behavior)

   b) Allow either placing emphasis marks as close as possible to base text
        http://nadita.com/test/ruby/ruby-kenten-ahf.png
      or placing emphasis marks at consistent level
        http://www.w3.org/TR/2013/WD-css-text-decor-3-20130103/text-emphasis-ruby.png

   c) Don't say anything about emphasis mark position when ruby is present:
      leave this totally undefined.

> We (Antenna House) implemented this behavior by default and also

Koji was wondering if you know what other implementations do by default?

> implemented the -ah-text-emphasis-offset property that specifies
> minimum offset between emphasis dots and the base text.
>
> I put an example:
> http://nadita.com/test/ruby/ruby-kenten.html
>
> The result rendered by Antenna House Formatter:
> http://nadita.com/test/ruby/ruby-kenten-ahf.png

Interesting. Have you considered an 'auto' value for text-emphasis-offset?
Then you could request consistent positioning without knowing ahead of time
whether there is ruby or not.

Also, a question: is 'text-emphasis-offset' needed for other reasons,
or is it only used for avoiding conflicts with ruby?

~fantasai